Sunday, June 7, 2009

Tough Love


Jiejie may be able to read anything you put in front of her, but when it comes to emotions, she struggles. In fact, it must drive her crazy listening to the sweet declarations of love that accompany her little sister's every exhalation. It's no surprise then that I nearly fell out of my chair today when Jiejie skipped past her little sister and quickly and quietly whispered to her, "I love you."
She finished her skipping circuit and after Meimei had left the room, Jiejie came over and whispered to me, "Did you hear what I said?"
I told her I had. "Was it hard for you?" I asked, remembering all the red-crayoned notes she slipped under the door after her sister came home bearing subtle messages like "NO!!!! BABY!!!!" She admitted it had been hard.
I said, "Well, now that you've said it to your sister, will you say it to me?"
And she did.
I told her I was very proud, and I am.
She doesn't realize Mommy had a tough time with those words too.

No comments:

Post a Comment