Monday, August 3, 2009

The Loney Ranger



Meimei has coined a versatile word: "loney."
When she wants to be alone, she says, "I is loney."
When she wants someone to join her, she says, "I is loney."
And when I went back to work today after being with the girls almost nonstop for a long vacation/furlough combination, Meimei was loney again.

Jiejie was just grumpy, but on Sunday night she had the perfect solution. When she grows up, she will work next to me, and do the same job I do. I suggested she might want to be a ballerina or a brain surgeon or perhaps do something more interesting (and lucrative, and secure) than editing, given the endless possibilities available to her, but she was resolute.

"Do you think after a while I could ask for a desk right next to yours?"

"Of course, " I told her. "Why do you want us to have the same career?"

Jiejie said, "It's so nice when you bring home new books. New books are a good thing, right?'

I couldn't disagree with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment