Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Golden Girl

Jiejie has not been eager to embrace her ethnic identity or even talk about being Chinese. It simply is not on her radar.

But Meimei, meanwhile, is a little distressed. "Mom," she said one day, looking at her juicy little legs in shorts. "My skin is too dark. I want light skin like my family." (She named all the family members including Jiejie and the two Chinese students who live with us).

Meimei has lovely golden skin, and I told her so. It's soft and beautiful and a healthy, glowing hue. When she's in the sun, no matter how powerful the sunscreen, she becomes a little bronze beauty.

"Mom spends lot of time in the sun to get a healthy, golden look," I told her. "We all have different colors of eyes and hair and skin. No one is exactly the same as anyone else."

Still, she inspected her arm, not thrilled. Then she caught sigh of a vaccination scar and moved her fascination and her questions to another topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment